Most men run when they first hear the word “period” especially coming from the mouth of a woman – they take it as a taboo subject that should not be discussed. As a result, s3xual intercourse while having you period is not preferred by many but it can be a matter of personal preference or cultural beliefs. Medically speaking, having s3x while on your period is safe as long as you don’t use it as an excuse to have unprotected s3x.
Benefits of having s3x during menstruation:
• $ex may help relieve pre or post menstrual pain and symptoms if you get an orgasm.
• Endorphins released during an orgasm are natural painkillers and mood lifters, which can relieve in cramps, headaches, mild depression, and irritability associated with periods
• Some women also claim enjoying s3x more when they are menstruating because of the feelings of fullness in the pelvic and genital areas.
• Can s3x during menstruation harm the penis or the uterus (womb)?
Risks in having s3x during periods:
• The likelihood of an HIV-infected woman’s passing the infection to her male partner is higher during her periods
• A woman’s chances of contracting an infection, (for e.g. herpes) from her male partner, are higher during her periods.
• $ex during menstruation puts a woman at higher risk of pelvic inflammatory disease
• A woman is also more likely to pass on other blood-borne diseases such as hepatitis- B or C to a partner during her period
• A woman is more likely to develop yeast or bacterial infections like candidiasis or bacterial vaginosis because the vagina’s pH during menstruation is less acidic.
Points to remember while having s3x during menstruation:
• With adequate precautions, s3x during periods can be enjoyable. These are some of the points that you should keep in mind.
• It’s advisable to use contraception, preferably a c0ndom, as it will prevent transmission of infections and also protect you against any chances of pregnancy
• Consider using a dental dam while having oral s3x during periods. They are available in various sizes and flavors.